Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wait... so I'm actually making an album?

Welcome! This blog is going to document the process of planning, creating, recording, designing, and distributing my very own album of music.

I have decided to produce my album through the lens of Community and Service; I plan to sell my album to the public so that I can donate the profits to Ear Candy, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing children with access to music education.
Since I was born, music has been one of the biggest parts of my life. I have been lucky enough to be exposed to music all of my life; I have taken lessons to learn to sing, as well to play instruments including the piano, guitar, harmonica, hand bells/choir chimes, recorder, and violin. I am lucky enough to have a family that is incredibly supportive in all my endeavors, and that has shaped me to be the independent person that I am today.

Unfortunately, not all children have the same opportunities that I have been blessed with. Especially with the current economy, many schools and families do not treat education in the arts as a priority. It is often cut from the curriculum schools do not fund the programs, and other times families "cut" music education from lives because they see little value of it.

To start off, I figured I should brainstorm tasks that I know will need to be accomplished at some point in this process. This will include the resources I will need to complete this project.

  • Decide what kind of album this is going to be: cover (recording my own version of existing songs), original (compose my own music), or a mixture of both?
  • Name the album
  • Write songs, if my album will feature original songs (melody, harmony, lyrics, chords, piano accompaniment that I will practice on either of my two electronic keyboards or my grand piano)
  • Choose songs to cover, if my album will feature covers
  • Research and abide by copyright laws to avoid legal infractions if I choose to cover songs
  • Research how to copyright my original songs if I choose to compose my own music
  • Find a recording venue, recording equipment, recording time, plus raise money to pay for recording if applicable
  • Research how to distribute albums for sale

Once I have a good list, I plan to break up this long list of tasks into organized "phases." I will include a calendar on this blog on which I will plan out the timeline of these phases. I have a lot to accomplish in a short amount of time (if you have any doubts, see above list!), so I will set deadlines for each phase to ensure that I get everything accomplished without stress, panic, or procrastination (wouldn't that be nice?).