Saturday, June 25, 2011

Recording studio at home... without paying a cent.

The album has begun!

The approach I have taken so far is, "Oh, I like that song! Yeah, I'll cover that one now!"

Well, maybe it's not that casual or random, but... the point is that I have recorded songs as I choose to put them on the album.

I have two songs recorded already! One of those I have edited, produced, and finished, while the other one is still in the editing/producing stages. It is so exciting that, in three days, I have one and a half songs completely done!

I do not plan to reveal what the songs on the album are until the album in finished in its entirety, and I am in the heavy-advertising stage. When I reach that point, I think it would be a good idea to feature 30-second samples on this blog, and probably the Head Indie Clouds Facebook page, too. But I am getting a little ahead of myself, aren't I?
My professional recording studio. Oh, yeah. High-tech stuff, right there.

Let's focus on what I have done already: these two songs. But really, in these past few days, I have accomplished so much more than that. For example, in order to record, I had to figure out some means of high-quality recording. If I am going to try and sell this album, the quality has to be professional. However, I do not have the resources that professional musicians have, like a high-tech recording studio.


I had to get pretty creative, actually. I haven't spent a penny on this project yet; I used only what I already had in my house. I dug up an old RadioShack microphone that plugs into the headphone jack. I have found that it is best to use for recording my keyboard and my piano. It is especially useful for recording click tracks and drum loops; I create the loop on my electronic keyboard, then stick this microphone pointing right at the keyboard's speaker. That way, every time I record a track for the same song, I can play the click track/drum loop on my laptop with my ear-buds plugged in, and I can play an instrument or sing to the beat of the loop. This ensures that, when I put all the different layers of the song together in editing, they are all at the same tempo and on the same beat; they fit together perfectly.

My favorite way to capture my piano's rich, full sound
But, by far, the thing this microphone is best for is capturing the tone of my grand piano. I love the way my piano sounds, and I want the recording to be true to the piano's sound. It was important for me to have a nice-sounding piano on the album because that is my primary instrument that I am by far the most comfortable with.

The downside to this mic is that, when you play back something it recorded, there is some static in the background. Thankfully, the music editor software that I have been using for the album is awesome and diminishes it to virtually non-existent.

Now, recording the vocals is a totally different ball game altogether. It is a lot easier to eliminate background noise from an instrumental recording than from a vocal recording, so, because of the background static, I found that using the RadioShack microphone is not the best way for me to record my singing.
\   
This mic is perfect for the job: sturdy base, adjustable angle

Still very interested in not spending money on equipment, I started hunting around my house for mic alternatives. I found a few microphones similar to the RadioShack one, but the quality was about the same or worse. There are "in-line" microphones at my house, but I didn't have an adapter to make that size fit into the microphone jack on a computer.

Somehow, I had a stroke of good luck and remembered that we have a Wii game -- Sing It -- that came with a USB microphone to plug into the Wii console to play the game. My inventive ways paid off when I plugged the mic into my PC, pressed record, and sang a bit into it; the quality was great! It was just what I wanted: professional-sounding.

And to think it is a Disney microphone that came with a Wii game!