Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Adding some final touches

September 1st, the released date for Bits and Pieces (the album!) is quickly approaching! I have been doing a few things this morning, trying to make these tracks as polished as can be, in addition to the touching-up I discussed last night.

Balancing tracks
I don't want the vocals to be overpowered by drums, but at the same time, I don't want the listener to have to strain to hear the instruments... it's a balancing act. Not to mention the fact that the instruments should be prominent during instrumental breaks; making the volume changes sound gradual and natural is very challenging, surprisingly.

Mixing tracks
Balancing and mixing tracks are very similar -- and some people consider them one in the same, in fact. Really, though, when I am mixing tracks, I am playing with panning (one of my new favorite things to incorporate into the tracks!)