Saturday, August 27, 2011

Songs about rain: What rain songs can YOU think of?

With Hurricane Irene on the mind of everyone in the United States, I thought I'd make a "rain post."

Just since 1960, there have been 5,000 albums released with at least one song with the word "rain" in the title. [source]


Here are four that I could think of... what do you got?
  1. On March 28, 1973, Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song" was released. Record producer Rick Rubin loves the song: "I don't even know what kind of music this is ["The Rain Song"]. It defies classification. There's such tasteful, beautiful detail in the guitar, and a triumphant feel when the drums come in -- it's sad and moody and strong, all at the same time. I could listen to this song all day. That would be a good day." [source]


  2. I'm covering another one of Led Zappelin's hits on Bits and Pieces: Stairway to Heaven! Listen to a sample of the track here.

  3. "Purple Rain" by Prince and The Revolution, released on September 26, 1984, reached #2 spot in the U.S. charts and became known as on of the Prince's signature songs. [source]


  4. Barbra Streisand's performance of "Don't Rain on My Parade" in Funny Girl (the movie and the musical) made her an icon in the industry.
  5. "Rain" by Madonna was released on July 17, 1993. The track was incredibly popular in the United States, Australia, Canada, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. [source]
Let's continue to grow this list!! Leave a comment with songs pertaining to rain and I'll add it to the list and give you credit!