Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Don't inhale the mic!

Removing breath-sounds from Sunday Morning -- click the picture to make it bigger!
I am currently adding finishing touches to the tracks (eep!!). A major thing that I am doing right now is Removing obnoxious breathing in between phrases.

Don't you just hate it when a singer is gasping for air, and you can hear it in the recording? I know that I, at least, find it very distracting. And while I don't make a habit of trying to inhale my microphone, it never hurts to try and clean up the breaks in between phrases in the vocals.

This is usually a pretty straight-forward process. If you zoom far enough in when examining a single vocal track, you can find and silence breath noises.

Click to enlarge the picture!
Identify the problem spot, highlight it (but be careful not to include anything important, like the start or end of a word), and generate silence to replace the time.

Audacity makes it easy; if you highlight an area, it will automatically enter the exact time equivalent of silence -- so much easier then trying to calculate or estimate yourself!
I've found that I have to be careful not to overuse this technique; sometimes, it can cause the vocals to sound almost robotic because it never has natural pauses or breath! Sounding natural is great, but sounding the BEST natural that I can is even better!